fbpx
Grease Fire

3 Easy Ways to Avoid Home Fires

September 14, 2021

When you purchase your forever home, most home buyers invest in a good insurance policy with the hope that they never have to use it. We have three simple ways you can avoid a house fire and keep your family safe from danger .

Clean Your Dryer Vent

Dryer lint by nature is highly combustible and the reason lint is so flammable isn’t just that it’s made of a flammable material. It’s because the fibers are so fine and short, they are essentially like kindling. It would make sense to keep the area that collects dryer lint clean and free of debris so that there isn’t a build up.

  • Clean your lint trap after every cycle – not just when it fills up.
  • Wash your lint trap once a month to make sure that it has adequate air flow – fabric softener and other silicone based products tend to build up on the screens causing loss of air flow.
  • Have your dryer ventilation system cleaned once a year.

Duct Cleaning Dryer Vent and Insulation

Here at Daffy Ducts, we are CRAZY ABOUT YOU!

Our mission is to inspire trust in our customers, partners, and teammates through providing a simple and seamless service experience from start to finish by being attentive, informative, caring, and clean! We began our journey to become experts in home air quality in 2007 and have been getting bigger and better ever since! Our service offerings now include duct cleaning, dryer vent cleaning, blown-in attic insulation, and whole home air purification with even more to come. We service residential (single-family & multi-family) and commercial customers and with our headquarters centrally located in Snellville, GA. We invest heavily in our team members with industry leading training and certifications and top of the line equipment. Our employees SHOW CARE every day, putting safety first and working with passion and integrity. We are proud to serve our community and to show how we are CRAZY ABOUT YOU! 

To Schedule a service with us click here

Clean Your Chimney

According to WoodLandDirect.com your fireplace and chimney may look perfectly fine from the outside, but there could be a whole host of issues going on inside that can affect how well the chimney works and the safety of your home. Routinely taking care of your chimney at the end of the burning season, rather than waiting until fall, will give you plenty of time to address and repair any problems your chimney may have.

The main cause of chimney fires is the buildup of creosote. Creosote is a highly-acidic residue that’s created when hot combustion byproducts mingle with cool air in the chimney and produce condensation. This condensation sticks to the interior walls of the chimney, leaving a residue.

Creosote can range from brown to black in color and have a consistency that’s light and flaky, sticky and tar-like, or smooth, shiny, and hard. Hard creosote is the most advanced and can cause extensive damage to your chimney, or even lead to a blockage if it’s not removed. Creosote is highly combustible and if left to accumulate, a chimney fire can and will occur. The very best way to prevent creosote buildup, and ultimately a chimney fire, is to have your chimney inspected and cleaned by a licensed chimney sweep, at least once a year.

Grease Fire

Prevent Grease Fires and Get Prepared

According to BrigadeFire.com cooking equipment is the No. 1 cause of home fires, causing nearly half of all incidents, according to the National Fire Protection Agency. Ranges and cooktops create almost two-thirds of such home fire incidents – grease fires. But do you know the proper and safe way to prevent and extinguish a grease fire?

A grease fire occurs when the oil becomes too hot. When cooking with oil, first it will boil, then it will smoke, and then it will catch on fire. It could take less than 30 seconds for the smoking oil to catch fire, so never leave your pot or pan unattended.

The best way to stop the grease fire is by smothering it. Keep a cooking or a baking sheet nearby, and cover the pan after you have turned off the heat. Covering the pan will cause the fire to consume what oxygen is left, allowing the fire to dwindle.

It is also wise to keep a fire extinguisher ready in the kitchen for extreme situations, but if the fire becomes too much to handle, evacuate your home and call the fire department.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY NEVER PUT WATER ON A GREASE FIRE

We hope these simple reminders help keep you and your family safe in your home for many years. Just remember an ounce of preparation may prevent disaster in the future.